History of Ljubljana University
Although the desire to establish a University offering educational courses taught in Slovenian can be traced back to at least the seventeenth century, the University was not founded until 1919. Originally envisaged to have only five faculties (Law, Arts, Theology, Technology and Medicine), the University had added a further 19 departments to the faculties of Arts and technology within five years. Further significant expansion took place in the aftermath of World War II and some of the new departments were housed in the urban areas of the city. For more than fifty years following its foundation, Ljubljana University was the only university in Slovenia. Slovenia now has four universities.
Note: The first university established in Ljubljana was created in 1810 under the auspices of the French Imperial administration, during a period of French rule. The institution was closed down three years later when the region reverted to the control of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Student Population and University Structure
The city of Ljubljana has a population of some 300 000 and the student population at the University of Ljubljana is well in excess of 60 000, making it one of the world’s largest universities. These students, both post- and undergraduate are distributed amongst the university’s 22 faculties, 3 academies of art Fine Art, Music and an Academy of Theatre, Film, Radio and Television) and its university college. The presence of so many young people in the city contributes to Ljubljana’s vibrancy and fuels much of the night-life. The university employs around 4000 academic staff.
Location of the University
The administration and most of the university’s schools are situated in the centre of the city. Some of the newer university buildings have been constructed in outlying regions of the city due to economic factors. The University is actively engaged in international co-operation, exchanges and projects and consequently, has a website with pages in English (http://www.uni-lj.si/en/).